Friday, January 23, 2015

Wandering around the Met

Friday evenings I am at the Met. I rarely miss a Friday; I find there is very little as soothing as being utterly lost in art.

I spoke with a volunteer who moved to America after the Second War, landed in Bensonhurst, and, because apartments were so scarce (there had been no construction during the War), told me that it was only because a realtor was also a cousin that she found an apartment in Flatbush. She now lives at 90th and York, and has lived there for more than thirty years. I hope to one day become like her, with thirty years in New York to my name.

She also visits the Met every Friday. 

2nd Street

2nd Street


Never seen this before

You Know You've Made It When You Can Commission Original Art!

Zabar's



Max Klinger, Entfuhrung (Abduction), from Ein Handschuh (1881) 

Preferred Picasso

The Dream of the Shepherd, Ferdinand Holder (1896)

Boatmen of Barcelona, Dionisio Baixeras y Verdaguer, (1886)

Gandolfi, 1770

This beautiful instrument may have been made in Staten Island (of all places!)
The Instrument Room


II

Morris Gurrie, Climax in Steel, Chicago 1920-30. At center is the Jewelers Building, from 1925-27 the tallest building west of New York. In the cupola Al Capone ran a speakeasy. 

Favorite Thomas Hart Benton faces

Another favorite



No comments:

Post a Comment