Sunday, February 8, 2015

The lonely and the desperate

Lindsay, lonely and desperate, has begun dating sleeping with (they may date) her fat-dweeb roommate who is also pretentious and condescending.

I've often said Tinder is for the lonely and desperate, but Lindsay's sinking to such a low indicates how lonely and desperate we--and I mean the universal we--can be. People whose formative adolescent social beings came to rely on technology, who were nascent adults during the advent and ubiquitous adoption of a social internet world, these people have difficulty when it comes to forming and maintaining relationships that have no electronic component. Beautiful, smart women settle for ugly men with personalities that leave much to be desired, because they feel they are unable to meet the smart, attractive men they deserve. Kim has transcended this and I am proud of her. Blue collar romance never really blossomed, but she has struck up with a French-Canadian/Eastern European consultant. I'm pulling for this one.

I may go to a pretentious art party in the Bronx tonight where Lindsay's fat condescending fuck buddy cum roommate with bad music taste will DJ. The art party in the Bronx intrigues me, but spending any time with fat condescending dweeb? I just do not think I can submit myself to that sort of thing tonight. Definitely for the first time in weeks I will see China for drugs and clubs. Kim may come along and Cash too, but Kim is semi-obligated to attend Bronx event. Cash finally paid Kim the money he owed her so I think she can at least be pleasant to him as I think Cash plans to meet China and I later on. 

I love this song and contemplate tracking Gloria down to talk with her. There is such an intense level of feeling in her voice. I only fear if she was old before her time when she sang this song it will be too late.    

Tina Turner is another favorite. I took my mother to see Tina in Chicago maybe six or seven years ago, and man, even in her late sixties that woman brought down the house. I wish I could have seen her in the sixties. 

It is an unshakeable conviction of mine that American R&B will stand in history as some of the greatest production of the human spirit. There is very little as arresting and bursting with raw power and feeling and life--and for that matter death--as this music that blends the dusty cry of the guitar, the steps of the piano, the certainty of the drums, the low throb of the bass, the wail of a woman telling her story, the shout of a man telling his troubles, the trumpets and horns underlying everything in opulent oranges and golds (because how they sound, for me, I can only convey in color).

Then there is Saint-Saëns and Rufus Thomas

I am very interested in Timbuktu and the forthcoming Terrence Malick--it looks like Malick may have grasped the spirit of today in the same way David Lynch managed to package and wrap the 2000s in Mulholland Drive, accomplishing what Kubrick groped toward in Eyes Wide Shut...the Malick film looks fantastic.   

On a lighter note, I saw the effort of CityLore and a determined Irene Chagall, the film Let's Get the Rhythm: the Life and Times of Miss Mary Mack. Fantastic! Uplifting! A wonderful documentation of lived culture. 

I maintain an active interest in the "life" films of 1960s Paris. Some people will call these "French New Wave"--this is an indication they do not really know what they are talking about, or, that they know so much that they are unable to grasp anything but amorphous threads of experience so cerebral as to be nonexistent. These films are about spontaneity, chance, beauty and existence. Lola (1961) is nice but I love Adieu Philippine (also 1962), there with an odd Norwegian (?) soundtrack. The promenade sequence is a classic of cinema and also available on youtube.    






No comments:

Post a Comment